The volunteer program allows participants to gain some work experience by volunteering their time to wildlife and conservation projects (18 - 30 years old). More mature participants are also welcome to apply for the 30+ Program and should have some background knowledge in nature conservation or zoology. Depending on the program, participants have to be 18-30 or 30-50 years old.
Volunteers commence their program with a day-long orientation in Cape Town with volunteers from around the world. The purpose of the orientation is to give the all participants an understanding of the people, culture, languages and political climate of South Africa. It will also give volunteers the necessary travel, safety and medical advice and how to prepare for their upcoming projects.
• Social Welfare: different associations take care of the local unfavoured population, in areas such as: medical assistance, help in day-to-day life tasks, teaching fundaments of their new democracy.
• Education: depending on your skills, you assist a teacher, act as a sport coach for kids, help in school maintenance…
• Tourism: tourism development is vital for local communities; it’s an important source of money and helps developing infrastructures. You can help restoring old museums, churches, historical sites…
• Environment: getting involved as a foreign volunteer in ecological project shows the local communities how important and rich their environment is. You can help in nature reserves or on archaeological sites.
• Able to face difficult social conditions
• Excellent physical and mental health
• Open minded, flexible, leave prejudice behind, and show initiative.
Programs are available all year round and five to 17 weeks in duration.
All volunteers stay in shared accommodation (with another volunteer) in a local host family or volunteer accommodation. Most projects are located within walking distance.
Included: Placement in a suitable project, orientation program, accommodation with a host family or in volunteer house for full program duration, breakfast and dinner during the week, transfers upon arrival and to host accommodation, travel and health insurance, full support in Australia and South Africa
Not included: Airfare, visa fees, meals during orientation week, spending money
|Program||Duration|| Program Fee
| Community Volunteering in South Africa
||4 weeks||AUS $1700|
|6 weeks||AUS $2300|
|8 weeks||AUS $2700|
|10 weeks||AUS $3100|