Italian Teacher Assistants Program

The Program

WEP’s School Assistant Program to Italy is available to Australian/NZ university students and recent graduates, who are passionate about languages, travel and education. Help make learning a language FUN by bringing a piece of Down Under into an Italian classroom. Participants are placed into Italian High Schools for a term to work alongside Italian teachers for 15-18 hours per week (5-6 days depending on the school) and share their language and culture with students studying English. 


Teacher Assistants will be placed in the beautiful region of Piemonte, whose major city Torino (Turin), besides being the home of top-class sports cars, chocolate and soccer clubs, was Italy’s first capital city upon unification. This stunning region, filled with hills, lakes and mountain, is a short distance from the Mediterranean Sea and borders with France and Switzerland.
On top of Piemonte, a few other Italian regions have recently become available. Please note that a particular region can be requested but is not guaranteed as places are limited:
- Lombardy: the region of Milan, Italy’s capital of fashion and business, and of world-famous lakes such as Lake Como.
- Veneto: the region of Venice, Verona, Padua, visited by millions of tourists every year. Its scenery includes long, sandy beaches, small villages offering thermal waters and spas, as well as the incredible Dolomites mountains.
- Friuli Venezia Giulia: one of the most culturally diverse areas in Italy, known for its breath-taking mountain landscapes and its mix of Italian, Austrian and Slavic cultures. Ready to plan your week-end gate-away to Austria, Slovenia or Croatia?
Italians in general are very laid back, however, the culture itself is extremely social, complex and full of tradition. Make sure you read up about your destination to help you prepare for the Northern Italian culture!

Program Inclusions

The program includes an exciting two-day orientation program in Turin, where you will meet with other volunteers participating in this program. Other inclusions cover:

  • accommodation and meals with a carefully selected volunteer host family (screened by the school) 
  • airport pick-up at Milan airport 
  • transfer to Turin 
  • two-day orientation in Turin 
  • medical and public liability insurance 
  • school-based supervisor 
  • support by WEP Australia and WEP Italy
  • emergency contact in Italy 


  • Age: 21-30. Applicants that fall outside this bracket will be considered. 
  • University/TAFE student or recent graduate 
  • No criminal record 
  • You MUST be a native English speaker 

    Program Fees




     Italian Language Assistant    
          Starting: 21 Sept '16 and 1 Feb 2017       Three months but can be longer  $950


    Not Included: airfares, spending money


    Enquire NOW!

    To request program information and application forms, please submit an enquiry here.



    Q: Do I need a visa? 
    A: You can participate in this program on a working holiday visa, if you wish to remain in Italy after the duration of the program. Australian and New Zealand participants do not require a visa if they are only staying in Italy for the duration of the program, as they qualify for the 90-day tourist visa.

    Q: Do I need to be able to speak Italian? 
    A: No Italian language skills required, but some basic knowledge is useful

    Q: Do I need to be a qualified teacher? 
    A: No teaching experience/degree required, but it can be helpful